Sunday, October 30, 2011

Back to life, Back to reality

Nelson and I had been thinking it was time to plan a little get away for just our family. It wasn't because we felt vacation deprived or anything, but we don't have the chance often to get away, just the 4 of us. With the help of our sister-in-law we started to research a few vacations we could do. We sat down with the kids and let them chose. Sounds a little scary I know to let our 2 kids pick where we were going to go. They had a few choices including 5 days in Disney world but when it was all said and done they chose a cruise. So our family of four packed up and left for a 5 day cruise (leaving from Tampa FL) headed to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

The first night we arrived in Florida we headed to our hotel. It actually ended up being a pretty nice hotel and the kids loved hanging out with their dad.












Our first rental car was a Toyota van (we got upgraded). A family of 4 in an 8 passenger vehicle was like heaven to my kids. They did not have to sit by, nor even look at each other and had all the room to do whatever they wanted. They thought it was pretty awesome. It is obvious they did what ever they wanted (don't worry the van is parked)












When we arrived to board the ship we learned the weather was not going to permit us to stop in Grand Cayman. We were a little disappointed but didn't have much choice about it. The second morning on the ship Nelson was a little baffled. He was concerned there was not enough to do on a cruise ship. I explained that you are suppose to just relax. I know that is super weird coming out of the mouth of a girl that does not relax often. As soon as he figured that out, he was in heaven. He was able to actually pick up a book and read (Nelson loves to read but never has time for it.)












Our room was pretty small, It was a king size bed with two pull down twin beds. Asher's feet are actually on each of the beds:










Of course there is always plenty of food on the ship. We loved being able to enjoy all the delicious food. If Asher had it his way he would of just had the cheeseburgers and fries topped with nacho sauce for every meal. That was his favorite.











Asher was always our little dare devil at every meal. He wanted to try the exotic stuff each time. He was able to eat lobster (tail in his hand below), escargot, alligator cakes, crab cakes, calamari and frog legs. We all tasted it all. The least favorite was the snails. The not so great highlight was when with my sushi I did not realize the blob of green stuff was wasabi and shoved the whole thing in my mouth. That was not a pretty sight.











Asher's frog leg










Our little monkeys (I swear they are never pulling normal faces)










The kids in front of the ship in Cozumel. I promise I did not make my kids dress the same so we would not lose them. It is crazy how big the ship really is when you are off on land looking up at it.











The kids hanging out around some of the shops in Cozumel











In Mexico if you have seen one shop you have pretty much seen them all. The workers were trying to sell a shirt to the kids. They were trying to prove that the shirts would fit so we just stuck it on to show it didn't. Asher thought he was pretty cool.










The kids enjoying their pina coladas. It was the only time they got one. Yes I will admit we are way too chip to spend $7.00 for one on the cruise ship.










For our excursion we went out in the Ocean on a trimaran boat. They then had us jump off and start snorkeling. It was super fun. The next few pictures are of the family hanging out getting ready to go.












The family hanging out on the boat. It was super fun and bumpy. The weather was windy so it made for an adventurous ride.











The kids loved snorkeling they got a hang of it pretty quick. They took us out to one spot and let us snorkel for 30 minutes and then took us to a different spot. Max did not go the first time. The workers freaked him out a bit. He did decide to join in the second time and ended up liking it. This is Asher- he was a fish










Max











Took Max a few tries to figure out how to not get your snorkel full of water.










Asher and I. He loved holding one of our hands while he swam and explored:










Of course we found plenty to keep us busy on the ship. Yes we did get plenty of relaxing in but the kids loved going to camp carnival (tons of fun activities for kids only), playing on the waterslides and of course playing golf on the top level

















One of the kids favorite things to do was to take our under water camera with them down the slides to record their ride. If they were not at the slides they were in the pool or hot tub. Our kids sure love water.













Me with our crazy boys. I love looking at our pictures because I know there is going to be a different face in every single one of them.












When we finished the cruise we still had 2 days left in Florida. We looked over and saw a sign for discount tickets to Busch Gardens. So we walked in and bought them. It ended up being a super fun place. It is a cross between a botanical garden, zoo and amusement park. There were a lot of fun things for the kids to do. The only hard part was half of the rides you had to be 53" to ride. Asher is not that tall so it broke his heart when he could not go.











Nelson and Max ended up going on the tallest ride in Florida. It was 200 feet high and came to a stop and then dropped straight down. They loved every minute of it. Fortunately for me Asher was not tall enough so he and I hung out and watched the people go on the ride.










I loved looking at all the fall decorations. Of course my kids did not care as much about that. Good thing the kids are still at the age they will just amuse me and get in the picture.















Nelson and I hanging out in one of the kid climbing areas. Busch gardens had the coolest play areas for kids. You could have spent the whole day just playing in there.










Max in one of the play areas:











Asher and Max posing in front of the tiger










The whole family:










I think this the only time Nelson and I were able to go on a ride together. Luckily we were on the log flume and the kids wanted to get super wet up front.









Asher and Max










So the last day we were in Florida we took the kids to Disney World. We know only one day in Disney World is not enough but it is all we had time for. We wanted to hit the place that would be the funnest for the whole family. So we chose Magic kingdom. I felt myself even getting giddy when we were getting ready to go in. I was super excited










Nelson and the boys sporting their pins indicating it was the first time there. We often joke that we are surprised our kids have not accused us of child abuse. Yes this is the first time ever that they have been to a disney park. I know I know. But all I have to say is it was so worth it. The whole time we were there I sounded like a broken record. Our kids were just at perfect age so we were able to enjoy everything together. They loved everything about it (excpet for it is a small world. Max thought that was creepy)










The family jumped in for a picture with buzz. He was hanging outside the buzz light year ride so we figured why not.










There were only two rides I had to limit myself on. They were the tea cups and space mountain. After 5 times of space mountain my neck and back had had it and one ride on the tea cups with my family that loved to spin was enough for me.










We had to get a picture of Max and his maps. He was our little guide where-ever we went. For some reason he loves that stuff and had to direct us everywhere. He is a good little navigator










Of course Max had to get a picture of this:










Max & I on splash mountain. This was another favorite of the families.










Asher and pirate goofy. Of course we had to get a picture of this after we rode Pirates of the Carribean










Max trying on one of the many hats he had to admire at the park










Nelson got the family together for a nice pose at the "happiest place on earth"















Our Family at the front as we were leaving. Super sad to see that day end we had a blast.










Asher with his purchase from DisneyWorld. That was his most prize possession, he would not take it off. I remember being the same way when I went to Disney land when I was 8. I even had my name put on my hat. Such memories.










And unfortunately here we are again, back to life and back to reality. It sure does stink having to be responsible again. We had one of the best trips ever. It was super nice to just be able to spend time with our family with no distractions. Super nice with no cell phones while we were on the cruise. The boys got along well. When the church calls started at the end of our trip I just gave Nelson a big hug and said " we will chat again on our next vacation".

2 comments:

  1. looks like you guys had a great trip. Maybe next time we can plan to go on a cruise/trip together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some GREAT Pictures, what a blast!!

    ReplyDelete