Both of our kids at some point or another dealt with some behavioral issue during their toddler years. The toddler stage is tough as it is let alone other issues. Max was very hyper active and Asher was aggressive. Someone once told my sister that my kids were the way they were because of what they learned from me. I jokingly said you are right they see my in Wal-mart all the time smacking and hitting other people. I firmly believe that each of us is given different things so we can learn patience and learn how to work through them.
Asher is a very strong kid and I partially wonder if he knew that. He could use his strength to work against us. During his toddler years I think I had my face slapped many times and my hair ripped out many more. There were even times that while Nelson was sitting on the stand at church, I had to take Asher out because he was acting up. Men in the ward would come out and take Asher because he got so worked up. It was a little embarrassing because I did not want it to look like I could not take care of it. However, I am thankful for the kind people in our ward who were just trying to help out.
We worked and worked with Asher to get him out of this. I can’t tell you one easy thing we did or any magic medicine that instantly cured it. We spent many times on our knees asking for direction. As soon as we received our direction or had promptings of things to try we had to remember to be consistent. Those few things were our magic medicine to help cure the issue. It was definitely not corrected over night but was taken care of.
When he was almost four we signed him up for preschool. I was turning in the registration form and the boys were in the car. I was telling the teacher that Asher was a little aggressive but we thought he would be good. She proceeded to tell me that in the preschool they don’t tolerate any hitting or they would be kicked out. I replied “we should be good he has come a long way.” Right as I said that we could hear screaming and yelling coming from my car. We both went to check and found Asher hitting Max as hard as he could, and Max was sitting there crying.
Really- what do you say at this point there is nothing you can say to help this situation. I got in my car and left. I immediately picked up and phone and started crying to Nelson that our kid was going to get kicked out of preschool. Nelson’s reply was go back and ask if we can pay daily instead of monthly. I am glad he could joke at a time like this because I was still mortified at the thought of what we would do if he did get kicked out.
Asher ended up going to preschool and we are proud to report he never got kicked out!! He passed preschool with flying colors. In fact each time we always heard what a great kid he was.
No comments:
Post a Comment