Sunday, January 10, 2010

Church Service

Nelson and I both grew up in very active homes and with parents who have spent many many hours serving in the gospel. When we got married there was no question how active we were going to be in the gospel. Our first calling married we had the opportunity to serve together as missionaries. It was so fun to be able to work together.

Three years of being married Nelson was put in as the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric. Oh these sure were some crazy times. When we added the 2nd child it definitely got worse. I told Nelson I was going to have some code signs so when I needed his help he could come off the stage and help me. It never happened but it sure was hard taking out a hyper active toddler (which had to be tucked under my arms like a football) and carrying a baby in the car carrier.

Nelson was able to serve in that great Bishopric for about 2 1/2 years and then it was time for our family to move. We moved to a home we had built in Farr West. It was funny because when Nelson got released he was able to sit by me a few times before we moved. Some of the older people in the ward made it a point to tell him that I did better in Sacrament with out him. I thought it was cute. We moved into our new ward and really enjoyed it. We learned that your ward is what you make of it. We put in a lot of effort and were able to meet a lot of the people in our neighborhood and ward.

We moved in our house 2 days before Christmas in 2005. About 6-7 months after we moved in we were working on the grass. Nelson had gone over to someones house in our neighborhood to cut out some grass. The next day we had sod coming and we were going to put some grass in our yard. That night we sat on our bed and talked through everything that still had to be done. Little did we know that everything we had planned out that night was soon to be changed. We ended up in the hospital the next morning because Nelson was in so much pain. We found out he had to have his appendix out.
It was a little humbling to me because we were in the hospital with Nelson while 10 or more people from the neighborhood were at our house putting in the sod. I had called my mom to give her an update (she was manning the house with the sod layers and the kids) and she told me the stake executive secretary was trying to get hold of us. My first thoughts were- "you have got to be kidding me!!" I knew what it was for- they were putting in a new bishopric in our ward the next day. As our day went on we learned the Stake Presidency wanted to meet with us that day. We got the visit and Nelson got called to be the First Counselor while he was in the hospital just coming out of surgery. We did have to laugh because what are the chances? They did say this was the first time they ever had to give a call in the hospital.

Nelson was able to serve for 3 years with 2 of the greatest men. He loved the people he served with. In 2009 our Stake was split and sad to say our awesome bishop Tyler was put in the Stake Presidency. Our hearts sank for lots of reasons when we heard this. It was a long 3 weeks with every ones speculations and comments. Two weeks after the change we were camping in Bear Lake with Nelson's family and got "the call". We were asked to meet with the Stake on Sunday. Our hearts sank. We were trying to be optimistic and think of everything it could be. We went in and met with the Stake. Nelson was called to be the bishop. WOW!! We cried and did we cry some more. I have to say that was one of the hardest weeks I have gone through. Lot of emotions that you go through and especially harder watching your husband feel so overwhelmed, wondering if he was really capable to bare this mantel.

I am writing all this not to brag by any means but because they are memories and we have learned so much from the experiences we have had. At some points I had felt that Nelson's church service was a bit of a trial. I have since learned through this and realized that I can't really count it as a trial when I am able to see all of the many many blessings we have received.

Yes it is true our kids have never really sat with their dad in church- but they do occasionally go sit on his lap on the stand.

Yes it is true that he is hardly ever home- but we have had to learn that our time spent is about the quality not the quantity. We have been able to do some fun things together as a family

Yes it is true that I have had to pick up most the responsibility of the home- but I have learned that heavenly father blesses me with the strength I need to run as fast as I need.

Yes it is true that Nelson has a lot of weight on him- I can see it in his eyes and his countenance. But he has the strength of Heavenly Father most to help him with whatever he goes through.

Yes it is true- we know we have a loving Heavenly Father. Our family has been so blessed to be strengthened by him, and so many great friends and neighbors. All of this out ways the sacrifices that we have had to make at times. We know it is worth it.

Yes it is true- our lives have been greatly touched and blessed by all the people we are surrounded by.

This is Nelson checking out the decorations put in our yard by the YW. (Feb 2010)














This has been our journey so far and we are so thankful for the lessons we have learned and the many friends that have blessed our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment