Monday, August 15, 2011

Boys Annual Backpacking Trip

For the past few years Nelson's brother Spencer has been planning back packing trips to various locations. The trips are always filled with family and friends with Max being the only kid so far. Even though Nelson's summers are usually busy and over packed with church and family outings, he makes sure he is available for these trips. Honestly I think these are some of his favorite trips to go on. Spencer honestly puts a lot of time into planning these things. This year the spent a week in the Wind Rivers.

It was fun listening to them when they got home. I don't think Nelson could have been a prouder dad. I think I heard him say close to 50 times how proud he was of Max. I don't think all kids are cut out for that type of labor and work. For some reason Max loves it and enjoys every bit of it. Max even spent his 10Th birthday back packing in the mountains. Nelson was good to pack an extra dessert and candles for Max. The whole group sang happy birthday to him. On the other hand I was super sad to not even be able to talk to him on his birthday.

Asher and I missed them a ton while they were gone but we were so glad they could go. Made me realize how sad it would be if something tragic happened to a member in our family. Asher would wake up every morning just crying "I miss Max". Good to know that even with all their fighting- they still love each other so much.

As always Max always learns something new on the trip. This years was farmer blowing. The "men" decided it was about time he learned this technique. I was fine with it until he came home and told me he decided it to try it at recess. Oh man I think this can get ugly. Let's just hope he has figured out how to not get his snot all down him. What happened to good ole tissue

Here are some highlights from the trip:

Fishing & Hanging in the tent- good thing they don't have a problem being in small spaces because some of those tents are super small.








Just a few of the trails they hiked up. They estimated they hiked 26 miles. Max was happy knowing that he went the distance of a Marathon even while carrying an extra 15 lbs on his back. Not only did they hike, if you know Max of course he jumped off every rock he could find. He loves to explore, climb and jump (he always has).









The gang hanging out and all of their bags. I always love the pictures of the bags. I could not imagine living out of my bag for a week. I am sure I would try taking all my favorite snacks as well as my comforts. No wonder I have not been invited on the trip (ha ha)








Hanging out at some of the water areas. In some of these areas they swam and took their baths. Notice the snow in the back ground. Ok it was August, there is no freakin way you would catch me in water that was surrounded by snow- no thanks








In this area is where Spencer dropped his shirt. Max was held by the ankles by a bunch of the men and lowered down into the cracks to get it. He was the only one small enough- no wonder they take the kids along.









The whole group and Tyler, Nelson, Max & Spencer (all family)









Nelson & his brother Spencer













Nelson fishing













Thanks guys for letting my boys come along. These are memories they are always going to have. They love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment