Sunday, June 20, 2010

Travis Poll

On June 18th, one day before his 36th birthday and two days before Fathers Day, Travis Poll's battle with esophagal cancer ended. Travis was one of Nelson's really good friends from JR High and High School. As parents, we always want our kids to find some "good friends". Nelson had that. He had some great friends growing up and still does today.

Travis and his family battled cancer for 2 1/2 years. We have learned many lessons from their family and our love for them has grown even more. Nelson has some very fond memories of Travis and is so grateful for the friendship they share.

The Saturday before he passed we were able to go say our goodbyes. I learned many lessons that night. Nelson and Travis hugged and talked a bit. They kept talking about what it was like to get to go see Jesus. Nelson even mentioned that he was a little envious. I understand that is the reason why we come to earth so we can return back. I just could not get past the part that he was leaving an awesome wife and 4 beautiful kids behind. While we were there the home health nurse made the situation a little crazy by her constant complaining. I was a little disgusted by what she was saying. Mandy, who had been struggling with this great trial looked at the lady and said it is ok, just do what you need to, we are not mad at you. The pure love she had amazed me. I am sure I would have probably started yelling. She definately reflected the pure love of Christ at the moement and it taught me a valuable lesson. No matter how crazy things are we truely need to love those around us.

I had a hard time watching my husband tell one of his best friends good-bye. I had an equally hard time the next day at church when we sang I believe in Christ in Sacrament. Nelson could not hold it together and just cried and cried on the stand.
Nelson has many memories of Travis and has learned many lessons. Some of the lessons he learned are:

1. Cancer never over powered Travis friendship. No matter what was going on with him, his frienships he had built over the years still meant a ton to him. He was still determined to keep those relationships strong.
2. Nelson felt that with Travis friendships were special rather than just a common thing.
3. No matter how bad Travis was struggling he never let it get in the way of his family. He would always be there for his kids as well as recognize every little thing they were doing.

We will always be grateful for Heavnely Father blessing us with such great friends. We feel so blessed to have the Poll family in our lives and to have been strengthened by them.

At Travis's graveside some of the people put their Livestrong bands on his casket
.














Here is Nelson and his friends(including travis in High School and College)

No comments:

Post a Comment