Nelson has had some pretty interested experiences being called into some of his different church assignments. We wanted to make sure we documented them.
When we lived in our ward in Harrisville he was the Second Counselor in the Bishopric. He had served in that position for a few years. Our kids never really got the chance to sit by him at church because he was always on the stand. When we moved into our new house in 2005 he was released from his calling and we had a few months we were able to sit with him.
In the summer of 2006 Nelson had cut some sod out of a neighbors yard and we were planning to put in the side of our yard the next morning. I remember sitting on the bed that Friday night, folding laundry and complaining how overwhelmed I was that I could not keep up. I felt like we had so much going on and I couldn't keep up with it. Max was 5 and Asher was almost 3. Nelson told me all would be fine. I remember that night he laid and bed and just moaned and groaned how much pain he was in. I even remember at one point I asked him to sleep on the porch (opps I will never live that one down, like never). Finally at 6 am when I had some sleep I realized that maybe he really was sick and had something going on. I called my brother Mike in Iowa to see if it could be his appendix. He was thinking it kind of could be. I ended up taking him to the ER and had my mom come watch the boys.
Turned out it was Nelsons appendix and he was going to need surgery. Wow I shouldn't have said the day before I was overwhelmed. We ended up having 10 neighbors and family at our house putting in our sod while Nelson was in the hospital getting surgery. After the surgery I called home to tell my mom how things went. She mentioned that the stake executive secretary was trying to get ahold of him. What? No way we were getting a new bishopric the next day, but it couldn't have been.
Before we knew it the Stake Presidency was standing in Nelson's hospital recovery room. They were asking him to be the first counselor in our new Bishopric, to Tyler Dixon.
I am not sure if Nelson was fully off the pain meds but he said yes. We joked around with them that this was probably the first time they ever had to give a call in the hospital. Definitely an experience we will never forget.
In 2009 our Stake was split and our bishop was put in the new Stake Presidency. This was probably the longest and hardest week ever. There was so much speculation and teasing going on to our family that it was honestly the worse week ever. Nelson did end up getting called as the Bishop and I remember it vividly. It was over 4th of July weekend. He was scared, nervous, felt ill prepared, but willing to do the call. He would do amazing at whatever he is asked to do.
One lesson I learned from this was to never ever speculate as it is not worth it and just makes the experience horrible for the person on the other side.
So grateful for the gospel and the opportunity we have to serve, love and grow.
No comments:
Post a Comment